Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: About 25 fritters
- For the Cheese Fritters:
- 14 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 green onions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fine bread crumbs
- Optional add-ins:
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Grated manchego cheese
- Finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Finely chopped green or black olives
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the Guava Dipping Sauce:
- 1/3 cup guava paste
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup mango or pineapple juice (fresh or canned)
- Prepare the dipping sauce: Place the guava paste in a small saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients (vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and juice) and whisk together over low heat until guava paste has completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare cheese fritters: Coarsely chop the green onions and place them in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a couple of times for a few seconds each time, until the onions are more finely chopped. Add the goat cheese, the softened cream cheese, and the ricotta cheese to the food processor bowl. Add 2 eggs and the flour and process the mixture until it is well mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste, and pulse to mix. If desired, add one or more optional ingredients tto the cheese mixture at this point, such as crumbled cooked bacon, crumbled blue cheese, grated manchego cheese, finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped olives, etc.
- Chill the cheese mixture for at least an hour.
- Once the cheee mixture is cold, shape the cheese mixture into 1-inch diameter balls. Roll each ball in the bread crumbs and thoroughly coat the cheese with the crumbs. Place the cheese balls on a baking sheet and keep them chilled until you are ready to fry them.
- Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a deep skillet or saucepan to 350 degrees. Fry the cheese balls, in batches, until they are very golden brown. Carefully remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Serve cheese fritters warm, with the dipping sauce. Once the cheese fritters have been fried, if you are not going to serve them right away, keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.