This delicious soup is packed with nutrition from cool weather leafy greens like kale and spinach. Chile peppers and lime add to the bright flavor. Serve this soup with quinoa dinner rolls for a perfect vegetarian meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chile pepper paste or 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh green chile pepper (with seeds removed)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium yellow potato, diced
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale (stems removed and roughly chopped)
- 1 bunch spinach (large stems removed)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
- Juice from 1-2 limes (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated cheese and croutons for garnish
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil and butter until golden brown, soft, fragrant - about 10 minutes.
- Add the chile pepper, cumin, garlic salt, and diced potatoes, and sauté for 3-4 more minutes, stirring.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Add kale and spinach in batches (the leaves will shrink up in size as the cook). Simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup, or carefully pour it into a blender (in batches if necessary) and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to low heat, add the lime juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup garnished with grated cheese, crushed tortilla chips or croutons.