Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6.
- 2-3 slices of bacon
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage
- 1 large red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 16 ounce bag of green lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Crumbled feta cheese (or firm, salty cheese) for garnish
- Chop the onion and set aside. Chop the bell peppers into 1/2 inch pieces and dice the tomato. Mince the jalapeño pepper, removing seeds.
- Add the bacon to a large stock pot and cook over medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Remove the bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- Remove the casing from the chorizo sausage and add it to the pot. Cook the sausage over medium heat, crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until it is firm and browned.
- Add the chopped red onion, the cumin, and the garlic powder to the pot and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened and are translucent. Add the bell peppers, the diced tomato, and the jalapeño (to taste), and sauté the vegetables over medium heat until they are soft and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and 4 cups of chicken stock. Simmer the lentils gently until they are tender, about 45 minutes, adding more liquid if needed (water or more chicken stock). Taste soup for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place soup in bowls and garnish with reserved crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, and/or sour cream if desired.