Caldo verde is originally a Portuguese soup that is also quite popular in Brazil. It's a simple and nourishing soup, perfect for busy weeknights. Caldo verde is made with potatoes, sausage, and lots of greens (hence the name "green soup") and it reminds me of the Irish dish colcannon. It would be quite good as a vegetarian soup, without the sausage.You can use yellow or white potatoes in this recipe. The trademark green color is probably brighter when you use white potatoes (the soup in this picture is made with yellow potatoes).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3-4 chorizo sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes (yellow or white)
- Medium-size bunch of kale or collard greens (about 3 cups finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- wash kale or colIard greens, and remove stems. Roll up greens and cut them into thin ribbons, then chop ribbons into bite-size pieces.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, brown the sausages in the oil until brown on all sides.
- Remove the sausages from the heat and slice crosswise into bite-size pieces. Return pieces to the saucepan and sauté a few minutes more. Remove sausages to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Add chopped onion and garlic to saucepan, and sauté over medium-low heat until soft and golden, about 8-10 minutes. While the onions are cooking, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- When the onions are very soft, add 4 cups of chicken broth and the potatoes. Simmer potatoes until very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and mash the potatoes well in their cooking liquid. If you like a creamier texture, use an immersion blender, or pour the soup into a regular blender (in batches if necessary) and blend until just smooth.
- Return the soup to the heat, adding more chicken broth or water to obtain desired consistency. Add sliced sausages and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add greens to soup and cook 3-5 minutes longer, or until greens are cooked to preference. Season soup with salt and pepper and serve.