Kids will have a blast helping you roll these. They'll help you eat them too!
They can be made ahead and fried at the last minute, or you can fry them an hour or so ahead and keep them warm in the oven 'til it's time to party.Latin food stores often sell frying cheese ("queso para freir") and pre-made empanada dough circles that are perfect for making tequeños.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound of firm queso fresco (queso para freir or "frying cheese") or feta cheese, or similar salty white cheese such as farmer's cheese
- 24 wonton or egg roll wrappers, or empanada dough rolled out thinly into 5-inch diameter circles
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cut cheese into strips about 1/2 inch square and 3 inches long, or the length to fit your wrappers.
- Wrap each strip of cheese with a wantan wrapper, using a little water to help seal the wrapper to itself.
- Fry in 2 inches of oil at 360 degrees for a couple of minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste while hot.
- Serve warm with guacamole.