These curried potatoes have great flavor and are easy to make. In Suriname and Guyana, the local scotch bonnet chile pepper gives these potatoes some kick, but you can substitute chili powder or just leave out the pepper. Serve with roti
or dhal puri flatbread
for a delicious vegetarian meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small hot pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large skillet, sauté the cumin seeds in the vegetable oil for 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the minced garlic, onion, and chile pepper (optional) and cook until soft.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, and the spices and cook on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Continue to cook, adding small amounts of water from time to time to keep the potatoes from sticking, until potatoes are tender.
- Cook 2-3 minutes more, until the outsides of the potatoes are slightly crispy and golden brown.
- Serve warm.