If you're tired of the same plain white rice, try this flavorful Brazilian recipe. The tomato gives the rice an attractive color, and it goes well with many dishes.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- Rinse the rice several times, until the water runs clear.
- Chop the onion and the tomato into 1/4 inch cubes. Mash the garlic with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan on medium heat, and add the mashed garlic. Cook garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped onion and tomato and cook, stirring. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave rice covered for 5 minutes more.
- Fluff rice with fork and serve.