This Colombian specialty is an unusually tasty way to cook rice. The rice is sweet, but the onion and salt balance the sweetness nicely, and the Coca Cola adds an interesting, unexpected flavor. It's also delicious with brown rice.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups Coca Cola
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 cups rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Heat oil on medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cola and salt and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and raisins, and lower heat.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Check rice, and if water is not absorbed, cook 5 minutes more.
- Turn off heat and leave rice covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff and serve.