Dhal is a popular lentil dish in both Suriname and Guyana. Both countries have East Indian influences in their cuisine. This recipe, adapted from The World Cookbook for Students (Greenwood Publishing Group), has mango for a delicious tropical touch. Serve with roti
, a grilled flatbread.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup diced mango (frozen or fresh)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook onion, garlic, and cumin seeds in butter until soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, lentils, curry powder, and turmeric and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.(add more liquid if necessary).
- Add diced mango and simmer for 10-15 minutes more, until lentils are soft and liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm with roti.