Prep Time: 12 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 13 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 pound large dried lima beans
- 1 large onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Juice of 2 key limes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the lima beans in a large pot and cover beans with at least 3 inches of water. Let soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans. Cover beans with fresh water, add 2 teaspoons salt to the water, and bring water and beans to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook beans at a simmer for one to two hours, checking for doneness after an hour. When they are ready, the beans should be firm but tender.
- Drain beans and let cool.
- Slice onion into thin julienne strips. Soak the onions in salt water for 10 minutes, then drain and let dry. Dice the tomatoes.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the olive oil mixture with the lima beans, onions, and tomatoes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.