This lentils and rice recipe, adapted from Secrets of Colombian Cooking, by Patricia McCausland-Gallo, makes a tasty meatless meal. The coconut milk adds an unusual and delicious touch to what's normally an ordinary dish.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups of rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Sauté the onion in the oil until soft and golden (5-8 minutes).
- Add the lentils and 1 cup of water, and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and the salt. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes more, until rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
Serves 6 - 8 as a side dish.