Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cups chopped white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion in the butter until soft and golden.
- Add the cinnamon and the cumin and stir briefly.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, stirring, and bring the liquid back to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Let the qunioa cook, simmering, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed most of the water.
- Add the cranberries and cook 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almonds and the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or add room temperature.