Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice
- Peel the garlic cloves, and mash them with a mortal and pestle until it's well crushed.
- Run water over the rice, and stir briefly, then drain water off. Repeat several times until the water runs clear.
- Heat the oil in a 2 quart saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, until the garlic turns clear and barely golden in color.
- Add the water and the salt, and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rice to the boiling water and stir briefly. Cover, lower heat to medium-low, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- The rice should be fluffy and still appear slightly shiny and wet. If it appears too wet, cook a few minutes more. If it appears dry, sprinkle couple of tablespoons more water over the rice. Turn off the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes more.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.