Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 stick butter, cold, cut into half-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup dried, sweetened coconut, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, and 1 cup coconut together in a bowl.
- Cut cold butter into flour mixture, using a pastry cutter or two knives, until butter is in pea-size pieces.
- Stir in the yogurt and buttermilk until just mixed.
- Turn the biscuit dough out onto the counter, and flatten slightly. Fold into thirds, like a letter, and flatten slightly.
- Turn dough 90 degrees and fold three times like a letter again. Gently roll or flatten to about 3/4 inch thickness.
- Using a 2-3 inch biscuit cutter, cut biscuits by pressing straight down with the cutter (do not twist).
- Place biscuits in a buttered 9 inch round or square cake pan. Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter, and sprinkle tops with remaining coconut.
- Bake biscuits for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 375. Cover biscuits loosely with foil if the coconut is browning too much.
- Bake for about 5 to 10 minutes more. Biscuits are done when the tops are golden brown.
- Split warm biscuits, spread with butter, and serve with guava jelly.
Makes about 15 2-inch biscuits.