Strawberry muffins are delicious in just about any form, but swirling dulce de leche into the batter really kicks them up a notch. The muffins are topped with a bit of cinnamon streusel. Any other berry could be substituted for the strawberries. Pineapple, mango, or peaches would also be nice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 18-24 Muffins
- 3/4 cups butter (1 and 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups flour, plus 1/4 cup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, washed and cut into quarters or slices
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 435 degrees. Line 18 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter with the sugar and salt until crumbly. Remove 1/2 cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Whisk together 3 1/4 cups flour, the baking powder, and the baking soda.
- Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the remaining butter/sugar mixture and mix briefly. Add the wet ingredients and mix until batter just comes together.
- Fold in the cut strawberries until just mixed in (do not over mix).
- Place the dulce de leche in the microwave briefly to soften it, then swirl it gently into the batter.
- Fill the muffin tins to the top with batter.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of flour and the cinnamon into the half cup of reserved butter/sugar mixture until crumbly. Top each muffin with about a teaspoon of this streusel mixture.
- Bake muffins for 8 minutes at 425, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for about 10 minutes more, until tops of muffins are just barely firm to the touch.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool slightly before removing them from the tins.
Makes 18-24 muffins.