- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dulce de leche
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Coarse sugar for decorating cookies
- One batch of dulce de leche ice cream (with or without pecans)
- Make the cookies: Cream the butter, dulce de leche, and sugar together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Stir in the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and cinnamon. Mix until dry ingredients are just blended.
- Shape cookie dough into 2 disks, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the cookie dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut circles of dough and place cookies on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sanding sugar. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until cookies are just starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove cookies and place on a rack to cool.
- Let dulce de leche ice cream soften at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Place a small scoop of ice cream onto the bottom of one of the cookies. Top with another cookie (sugar side up), flatten cookies together gently. Repeat with remaining cookies, then place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and refreeze them. Once they are firm, wrap each sandwich individually with plastic wrap and store in freezer.
- These are best served the day after they are made.
Makes about 10 ice cream sandwiches.