This apple pie recipe has all the traditional trappings (cinnamon, granny smith apples, flaky crust) plus a touch of sweetened pineapple and a thin layer of caramel dulce de leche. The result is fantastic - everything that you love about apple pie plus a burst of tropical flavor that compliments the apples perfectly.
If you don't have dulce de leche, you can substitute thick caramel dessert sauce.
Serve this pie with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon, and drizzled with warm dulce de leche.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 double pie crust for 9-inch pie, homemade or purchased (see link to recipe below), chilled
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5-6 large granny smith apples
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup dulce de leche, homemade (see recipe link below) or store bought
- Extra dulce de leche for serving with pie
- Cut the pineapple chunks into small dice.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the sugar, a pinch of salt, and the cinnamon stick.
- Cook pineapple in sugar and butter until pineapple is soft and translucent, and the liquid has thickened. Set aside to cool.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples. Stir the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together with a pinch of salt. Toss apples with the flour/sugar mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out 1/2 of the pie crust dough into a 12 inch circle, and line the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish with the crust. Chill crust for 15 minutes.
- Drain the excess liquid from the cooked pineapple, and add pineapple to the apple mixture. Mix well.
- Place the apple mixture in the prepared pie crust and return it to the refrigerator.
- Roll out the top crust into a 10 inch circle. Place the top crust onto the pie, and crimp the edges to seal. Cut a few slits in the top of the pie. Brush pie lightly with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie for 30-45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Cook pie on a rack. Serve with ice cream and warm dulce de leche.