Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 20-24 Cupcakes
- 3-4 carrots
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the carrots. Grate the carrots with a hand grater or by using the shredding blade attachment of a food processor. Add the vegetable oil and one egg to a food processor or blender with the grated carrots, and process until the mixture is very smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Whisk in the remaining two eggs, the sugar, the salt and the vanilla. Add the flour and baking poweder and stir until just mixed.
- Line 2 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners. Divide the batter between the pans, filling them to just below the top of the paper liner. (There may not be enough batter to fill all 24 cups).
- Bake cupcakes for about 20 minutes, or until cupcakes have risen and a wooden toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool on a rack.
- Prepare chocolate glaze: Add the cream, cocoa powder, water, sugar, and salt to a medium suacepan.
- Stir well and bring just to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes very shiny and slightly thickened.
- Remove glaze from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes. Whisk in vanilla.
- To glaze cupcakes: Turn a cooled cupcake upside down and dip the top of the cupcake into the warm glaze, covering the entire top and letting the excess glaze drip off before placing the cupcake back on a rack. The glaze will set as it cools. If the glaze cools off too much so that it's difficult to dip the cupcakes, just rewarm it gently on the stove over low heat.
- Cupcakes will keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days, or for about a week in the refrigerator. Makes 20-24 cupcakes.