Yield: About 3 1/2 cups ice cream.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-2 tablespoons instant expresso powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup cream
- 1/3 cup dulce de leche, homemade or purchased
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk egg yolks together with the sugar and pinch of salt until pale yellow and smooth.
- Place the milk in a saucepan over medium heat with remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Whisk in expresso powder and bring just to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and gradually add hot milk to egg yolks while whisking. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Place milk and egg mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and just coats the back of a spoon, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Whisk in dulce de leche while mixture is still hot, then cream, vanilla, and optional cinnamon.
- Chill ice cream mixture thoroughly, then freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions.
Makes about 3 cups.