This pineapple ice cream is intensely flavored with concentrated fresh pineapple and Pisco, a Peruvian/Chilean brandy. It's even better with toasted coconut sprinkled on top.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
- 1 medium pineapple
- 3/4 cups sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons pisco
- Peel and core pineapple and chop fruit into 1 inch pieces. Place pineapple into a blender with the juice of 1 lime and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Blend until smooth.
- Place pineapple mixture in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture has cooked down to about half the original amount, 8-10 minutes.
- While the pineapple is simmering, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and a pinch of salt in a heatproof bowl, until pale yellow and smooth. In a separate saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer.
- Add hot milk gradually to the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add egg/milk mixture back to saucepan and return to heat.
- Stir mixture over medium heat until it just thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Whisk cream, vanilla, and pisco into egg/milk mixture. Once the pineapple mixture is ready, whisk it into the milk mixture. Chill ice cream base thoroughly, then freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions.