Trifles are a wonderful way to enjoy cake, cream, and fruit without having to bother with frosting and decorating. This elegant dessert is served in a deep bowl (glass is nice so you can see the layers) and has three main components: rich pound cake soaked with passionfruit syrup, white chocolate mousse, and fresh fruit. You can make the cake a couple of days ahead of time, and it's best to assemble the trifle at least a few hours ahead of time, so that the flavors and textures can meld together a bit.If you are short on time, use store-bought pound cake.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: Serves 10-12.
- 1 recipe passionfruit pound cake, vanilla cream cheese pound cake or other pound cake recipe, baked in two 8-inch square cake pans, or 2 store-bought pound cake loaves
- 1 cup passionfruit pulp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam
- 16 ounces white chocolate
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- Extra whipped cream for garnish
- Prepare and bake the pound cake in 2 8-inch square pans. Let cake cool and remove from pans.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the passionfruit syrup: Place the passionfruit pulp and the sugar in a medium saucepan, and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until sugar is well dissolved, then remove from heat.
- Slice each cake in half horizontally and place sliced cakes with their cut sides facing upwards on a counter. Brush all 4 pieces of cake generously with the passionfruit syrup.
- Heat the strawberry or raspberry jam over low heat until melted. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, then spread strained jam over 2 pieces of the cake. Top each jam-covered cake with another piece of cake, sandwiching them together with the jam in the middle. (Cakes can be wrapped in plastic at this point and stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days or until ready to assemble trifle).
- Prepare white chocolate mousse: Coarsely chop the white chocolate. Heat 2 cups of heavy cream over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the white chocolate, stirring until the white chocolate has completely melted. Stir in a pinch of salt, and chill mixture for 15 minutes.
- In a large clean bowl (or in the bowl of a standing mixer), beat the remaining 2 cups of whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/3 of the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture, then gently fold the cream and white chocolate mixture back into the remaining whipped cream. Fold in the vanilla extract. Chill mousse until ready to assemble the trifle.
- Wash and dry the berries. Remove stems from the strawberries and slice them into bite-size pieces. Cut the cakes into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Assemble the trifle: Place a layer of mousse in the bottom of a deep bowl or trifle dish. Place a layer of cake cubes over the mousse. Top with a layer of fruit. Repeat layers, ending with a mousse layer. Top with extra whipped cream if desired, and garnish with more fruit.
- Trifle may be served in 10-12 individual parfait glasses if desired - layered in the same manner (as pictured).
- Chill trifle for several hours (or overnight) before serving.