Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 30 large cookies
- For the Chocolate Cookies (Alfajores Negros):
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon powdered instant coffee
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons rum
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semisweet or bittersweet)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups dulce de leche
- For the Almond Cookies (Alfajores Blancos):
- Follow same recipe, omitting the cocoa powder and instant coffee, and substituting 2 tablespoons almond paste for the nutella, and 2 cups white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips. Also add 1 teaspoon almond extract.
- Prepare the two cookie doughs separately (using same method for both chocolate and almond cookies): Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into pieces and work pieces into the dry mixture with your fingers, until the butter pieces are about the size of small peas.
- Stir in the honey, egg, nutella or almond paste, and extracts until well mixed. Stir in the rum one tablespoon at a time, kneading dough after each tablespoon, until dough comes together can be kneaded into a smooth ball. If you accidentally add too much liquid and dough becomes too sticky to handle, knead in a little bit more flour.
- Wrap dough with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll almond dough out on floured surface about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter and place cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or silpat (silicone baking mat).
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until just barely firm to the touch and golden. Remove cookies to a cooling rack to cool.
- Repeat with chocolate dough. Be careful not to overbake chocolate cookies.
- Spread underside of one almond cookie generously with dulce de leche and top with another cookie. Use knife to smooth any escaping filling around the edge of the cookie sandwich. Repeat with remaining almond and chocolate cookies. Chill cookies while preparing the chocolate for dipping.
- Add white chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl with 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening. Microwave chips for 20 second intervals, stirring well in between each 20 seconds of heating, until chips are melted and runny.
- Dip almond cookie sandwiches into the white chocolate to coat, using a fork. Remove cookie from bowl, tapping fork on the side of the bowl to shake off excess chocolate, and place cookies on a sheet of wax paper to cool.
- Repeat with chocolate cookies and chocolate coating.
- Store cookies in an airtight container. Cookies are best 1-2 days after they are prepared.
Makes about 30 2 1/2 inch cookies.