Cake truffles, or cake balls, are delicious bite-size treats made by mixing crumbled cake with frosting (or in this case, dulce de leche
). The mixture is shaped into balls and dipped in chocolate, white chocolate, or more frosting. The cake balls can be rolled in coconut or chopped nuts. They make elegant little desserts served in paper cups, or stacked high on a pretty plate. I like to use pound cake, but any cake (chocolate, spice) will work.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 prepared cake mix, or equivalent amount of homemade or store-bought cake (9 x 13 sheet)
- 3/4 cup dulce de leche
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond flavoring
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting (for dipping)
- 1/2 cup caramel frosting (for dipping)
- Toasted coconut
- Ground nuts
- Prepare and bake a 9x13 sheet cake. (Shortcut: use a store-bought pound cake). Let cool.
- In a large bowl, use a spatula or your hands to break the cake into fine crumbs. (You can do this in the food processor, using the plastic blade, but be careful not to over process the cake.)
- If the dulce de leche is very thick and stiff, place it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it. Stir the dulce de leche into the cake crumbs with a spatula. The mixture should hold together. Stir in optional flavoring and cinnamon. Chill mixture for about 30 minutes.
- Take about a tablespoon of the cake mixture at a time, shape mixture into balls with the palms of your hand. Freeze cake balls for about an hour, or until very firm.
- Melt chocolate or white chocolate in the microwave, by heating it for very short intervals and stirring after each, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Using a fork, dip cake balls into the chocolate, let the excess chocolate drip off, then carefully slide them off of the fork onto a cooling rack or piece of wax paper. Roll cake balls in coconut, nuts, or sprinkles before chocolate sets, if desired.
- To dip cake balls in vanilla frosting or caramel icing, warm the icing in the microwave until it's warm and more liquid, then dip the cake balls in the same way.