Dress up ordinary chocolate cupcakes with a surprise filling of creamy dulce de leche and chocolate. Dulce de leche
has a butterscotch caramel flavor that goes great with chocolate. It's easy to do and your cupcakes will get rave reviews. I like to frost these cupcakes with chocolate frosting, but you could also use more dulce de leche, or dulce de leche mixed with chocolate fudge.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2/3 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dulce de leche, homemade or storebought
- 1 cup chocolate fudge sauce
- 2 cups chocolate frosting of choice (see links to recipes below)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a standing mixer, cream the butter until fluffy. Add the sugars and mix well.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir the boiling water into the cocoa powder until smooth. Add to the butter/sugar/egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Whisk the vanilla, sour cream, and buttermilk together.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the dry and liquid ingredients to the batter, and mix just until smooth.
- Line cupcake mold with paper liners, and fill each liner about 2/3 full. There should be enough batter for about 24 regular-sized cupcakes.
- Place cupcake in the oven, lowering the temperature to 350 degrees at the same time.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cupcakes spring back slightly to the touch.
- Warm the dulce de leche and the chocolate fudge in the microwave for a few seconds, until soft. Whisk them together.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4 inch diameter round tip with the chocolate fudge/dulce de leche mixture.
- Poke the metal tip into the center of each cupcake, and squeeze about 1 tablespoon of the filling into the cupcake.
- Frost the cupcakes as desired.