Prep Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
- 3/4 cups pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whipping cream (or 2 cups whipping cream & 1 cup milk, if using an ice cream machine)
- 1 1/2 cups dulce de leche
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the pecans in a shallow pan with the butter and salt. Roast the pecans for about 25 minutes, stirring every 5 -10 minutes, until dark brown.
- Cool pecans on a paper towel, coarsely chop, and set aside.
- If you are using an ice cream maker, stir 1 cup milk and 2 cups cream together.
- OSoften the dulce de leche in the microwave and whisk into the milk/cream mixture until well blended. Chill mixture in the refrigerator.
- When mixture is well chilled, stir in vanilla and a pinch of salt, and freeze mixture in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturer's directions.
- Fold in chopped pecans, and place mixture in the freezer until it reaches desired consistency.
- To make this recipe without an ice cream maker, place dulce de leche in a medium bowl, and whisk in the vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Whip 3 cups of whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Whisk about a cup of the whipped cream into the dulce de leche to lighten it.
- Carefully fold in the rest of the whipped cream. Place the mixture in a container and freeze for about an hour.
- Once mixture is fairly firm, stir in the chopped pecans.
- Continue to freeze until ice cream has desired texture.
Makes about 6 servings.