This moist chocolate sheet cake becomes irresistible when topped with rich dulce de leche pecan frosting. A touch of nutella in the frosting compliments both the chocolate in the cake and the caramel flavor of the dulce de leche. Store bought dulce de leche is fine for this recipe, and the cake can also be baked in two 8 or 9 inch layer pans. Make the frosting slightly stiffer (more powdered sugar, less milk) to frost a layer cake.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- For the cake:
- 1 chocolate or devil's food cake mix
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons dulce de leche
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- 1/3 cup nutella
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cake mix in a large mixing bowl. Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, and instant coffee and stir.
- Mix in the dulce de leche, buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla and stir until well-blended.
- Pour cake into a greased and floured 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake cake for about 30 minutes, or until it springs back from your touch. Cool cake on a rack.
- Place butter, nutella, and dulce de leche in the bowl of a standing mixer, and cream until fluffy. Add the confectioners sugar, salt, 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla, and mix. Add more milk if icing seems to stiff, or add confectioners sugar if it seems too runny. The frosting will stiffen in the refrigerator.
- Beat icing until fluffy.
- Spread frosting over the cake when cake is completely cool.