The flavor of an alfajor cookie translated into a cool summer treat - an ice cream sandwich. Soft chocolate cookies surround a sweet filling of caramel dulce de leche ice cream and fudge.
Prep Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 5 hours
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Pisco (or rum)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 recipe of Dulce de Leche Ice Cream (see link to recipe below)
- 1/2 cup chocolate fudge sauce (purchased or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 8-inch square baking pans with aluminum foil, letting the foil overhand the sides of the pans.
- Whisk together the cornstarch, flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, at 10-15 second intervals on half power, stirring each time until melted. Set aside to cool briefly.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in the chocolate until incorporated.
- Stir in the egg, vanilla, and pisco until well mixed.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until well mixed.
- Spread half of the batter into each of the prepared baking pans, lining the bottom of the pans with a smooth layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until just barely firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Prepare half a batch of dulce de leche ice cream with salted pecans (see recipe here). Freeze ice cream for at least one hour, then fold in the salted pecans and spread ice cream over the cookie layer in one of the baking pans.
- Spoon the chocolate fudge sauce on top of the ice cream, and use a knife to swirl it gently into the ice cream.
- Remove the other cookie layer from its pan and place it on top of the ice cream.
- Cover ice cream sandwich with foil and return to the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, lift sandwich out of the pan, and cut into squares. Or use an empty can or large biscuit cutter to make round ice cream sandwiches.