These mango oatmeal cookies are chock full of white chocolate chips and cashews, and gently spiced with ginger and cloves. The glaze is made with brown sugar, orange juice, and rum, but you could also drizzle them with some melted white chocolate. These cookies would also be delicious with dark chocolate chips.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 5-ounce package dried mango slices
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons)
- 8 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon butter rum flavoring
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 cup cashews, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Place the dried mango slices in a heat proof bowl. Pour boiling water over them and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Drain water from mango. Roughly chop the mango. Pour rum over chopped mango and set aside.
- Cream the butter and shortening with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir the butter rum flavoring into the buttermilk and add to butter/sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves, flour and oatmeal. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- Drain the mango and reserved drained rum. Stir the diced mango, chopped cashews, and white chocolate chips into the cookie batter.
- Chill batter for 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll a golf ball size piece of cookie dough into a ball with the palms of your hands, and place balls on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until cookies are puffed and golden brown.
- Make glaze: Bring run, brown sugar, orange juice, lime juice, and slat to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in the powdered sugar until glaze reaches the right consistency. It should be slightly runny. Drizzle glaze over the cookies.
Makes about 35 cookies.