This lovely meringue cake is easy to make and tastes wonderful. It has crispy layers of meringue filled with cool whipped cream. The cake is topped with tropical fruit like kiwi, mango, papaya, and pineapple, and decorated with toasted coconut.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 cups bite-size pieces of assorted fresh tropical fruit (pineapple, papaya, kiwi, mango, banana etc)
- 1 cup sweetened dried coconut
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place coconut in a shallow cake pan and toast until just lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place the 6 egg whites into the (very clean) bowl of a standing mixer. Stir cream of tartar and pinch of salt into the 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- Beat the egg whites until they become stiff and start to form peaks. Gradually add the sugar mixture and continue to beat, until egg whites are very stiff. Stir in vanilla.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Use an 8 or 9-inch cake pan as a template to trace 4 circles with pencil onto the paper (2 on each sheet). Flip the paper over, making sure that you can still see the outlined circles.
- Divide the meringue into 4 parts and spread each part gently inside the circles, to make a meringue "cake layers". Place meringues in the oven and let bake (at 250 degrees) for about 45 minutes, then turn off the oven and let meringue dry out for another hour or so. Store meringue in the oven until ready to assemble cake.
- Whip the cream with 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form. Whisk in the vanilla.
- To assemble the cake, gently peel the parchment paper off the back of the meringue disks, and place one meringue circle onto a serving plate or cake platter. Spread about 1/4 of the meringue mixture on top of the meringue, letting the whipped cream spill over the side slightly. Top with another meringue disk.
- Continue to layer the meringue and whipped cream until all for disks are stacked. Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake. Gently press the toasted coconut onto the side of the cake, all the way around.
- Top cake with fresh fruit. Keep cake chilled until ready to serve.