This is a special dessert, but it's quick and easy to make, and perfect for summer entertaining. If it's too hot to turn on the oven or you're short on time, use store-bought pound cake or angel food cake.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 thin slices cake (pound cake or angel food), or 4 individual shortcakes (see recipe link below)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mango (cubed)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cubed
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons pisco or rum
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Bring water, sugar, and salt to a boil. Stir in pisco and lime juice.
- Add mango and pineapple and simmer for five minutes.
- Stir in strawberries and simmer for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, and let cool.
- Beat whipping cream (adding a teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla if desired) until soft peaks form.
- Brush some of the cooked fruit syrup onto the cake slices.
- On each plate, place a slice of cake and top with some whipped cream. Add another slice of cake, cover cake with cooked fruit, and top with another dollop of whipped cream.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.