Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 8 yellow potatoes (about 2-3 pounds)
- 3 fresh yellow chile peppers
- 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 2 gloves garlic
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 ripe avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Black olives for decoration
- Parsley for decoration
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until soft. Peel the potatoes and pass them through a potato ricer (or mash them), then set aside.
- Remove the seeds from the chili peppers, and saute them in vegetable oil with the garlic until softened. Place them in a food processor or blender, along with the juice of the 3 limes, and salt/pepper to taste. Process until smooth. Stir lime/chile mixture into the potatoes.
- Poach the chicken in water seasoned with salt, pepper. Shred the cooked chicken, and mix with the mayonnaise and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- On a plate, shape half of the mashed potato mixture into a square or rectangle. Cover with the chicken in a smooth layer. Layer with slices of avocado. Layer the other half of the potato mixture on top and smooth with a knife. Decorate the top with parsley leaves, slices of hard-boiled eggs, and olive halves.
- Serve chilled.
Variation: You can also shape the potatoes and filling into individual servings. Remove the top and bottom parts from a clean empty can to make a ring. Grease the inside of the can with vegetable oil. Rest the can on a plate, and layer the potatoes and chicken inside the can, then carefully remove the can. To shape the causa into one large ring, you can use a cheesecake pan with removable sides.