Peruvian chifa meets Japonese sushi, in this example of the unusual yet delicious sushi combinations that can be found in trendy restaurants all over Latin America.
Lomo saltado is an Asian-Peruvian stir-fry dish of thin strips of beef, onions, red peppers, and french fries, seasoned with soy sauce and hot chile peppers.Lomo saltado is typically served over rice, so it's a natural to be converted into sushi. The beef and vegetables are inside the sushi roll, which is garnished with a spicy crema de rocoto salsa and some crispy potato sticks. Check out this great step-by-step tutorial on how to roll sushi before you get started.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 30 sushi rolls
- 1 recipe sushi rice
- 1 package of nori (dried seaweed)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, sliced thinly
- 2 red or yellow onions, sliced thinly into slivers
- 1 small hot pepper, such as aji amarillo, diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 red peppers, sliced into thin strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crema de Rocoto
- Chopped green onions and minced cilantro
- Potato sticks
- Prepare the sushi rice recipe here).
- Cut beef into thin 1/2 inch strips.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet and sauté garlic with the cumin for 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook on medium high heat until browned on all sides and cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove beef from heat and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the onions and hot yellow pepper to the same pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize, adding a little more vegetable oil if needed.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, and red peppers and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and add the beef back into the pan. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Roll the sushi, following these steps. Slice the sushi rolls with a sharp, wet knife into bite-size pieces. Drizzle the tops of the sushi rolls with the rocoto sauce. Sprinkle rolls with chopped green onions, minced cilantro, and crushed potato sticks for garnish and serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes about 4-5 medium rolls, or about 30 pieces of sushi.