- 1/2 recipe angu (see recipe here), well chilled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups fresh okra
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove stems from okra and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Shape angu into 4 round patties about an inch thick. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the okra and sauté, stirring, until okra is starting to turn golden brown around the edges. Remove okra from skillet using a slotted spoon, and place on paper towels.
- Add chopped tomato and green onion to same skillet and cook until soft and fragrant, 5-8 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and onions to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Melt butter in the same skillet, and sauté corn cakes for a couple of minutes on each side, until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve corn cakes hot, topped with tomatoes and onions and fried okra.
Serves 4 as an appetizer or light main course.