This is an attractive salad, and it's filling enough to be a main course. Uncle Chris says that he could survive as a vegetarian if he could eat something like this every night (which he apparently can't for some reason). There is a bit of chopping involved, but otherwise this is an easy straightforward recipe. Uncle Chris also notes that any leftover "dressing" from the salsa is great as a marinade or salad dressing.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6.
- 2 cups quinoa - a mixture of red, black, and regular quinoa
- 2-3 bell peppers, in assorted colors (red, yellow, orange)
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large mango, just ripened or even a bit firm
- 1 large tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (or Parmesan) cheese
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and cut them into a small dice. Place them in a bowl. Cut the onion into small dice and add to the bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the tomato and cut into a small dice (see how to seed and dice a tomato), and add chopped tomato to the bowl.
- Peel the mango and cut flesh into small dice, avoiding the fibrous seed (see how to cut a mango), and add the mango to the vegetables.
- Mince the garlic and add to the bowl along with the cilantro.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the mixture, add the olive oil, and toss everything together well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and cook the quinoa.
- Rinse the quinoa grains and place them in a large saucepan. Cover them with 3 1/2 to 4 cups water and add 1-2 teaspoons of salt to the water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12-15 minutes, until quinoa grains have swollen and they have a visible "tail". Remove cover, turn off heat, and let quinoa grains dry out for about 5 minutes. Fluff grains with a fork.
- To serve: Place warm quinoa on individual plates or serving platter. Sprinkle freshly grated cheese over quinoa. Top with vegetable/mango salsa, including some of the dressing. Serve immediately.