This creamy soup made with yellow crookneck squash has a beautiful rich golden color and a slightly kick from a touch of aji amarillo chile pepper
. It's easy to make and works as a first course or main dish. You can prepare this low fat soup with chicken broth or vegetable broth.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings.
- 5-6 yellow crookneck squash
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 packet Goya seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste, or 1 tablespoons finely minced fresh chile pepper
- 2-3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Croutons for garnish
- Slice the squash crosswise into 1/34 inch thick slices.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add the onion, squash, bell pepper, Goya seasoning, and cumin, and sauté until soft and golden, about 8 minutes.
- . Add 2 cups of chicken broth and the cilantro and simmer vegetables until completely tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Process soup in a blender until smooth, then return to stove over low heat. Whisk in sour cream, and season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup warm, garnished with a dollop of sour cream, fresh cilantro, and croutons.