This recipe is both delicious and good for you. Diced carrots, peas, green beans, and lima beans are cooked along with the rice, which is seasoned with garlic. The basic version is sort of a succotash with rice, but just about anything that grows in the garden can also go into this dish - zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, fresh herbs, etc. It's an easy way to eat your vegetables.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup green beans, diced.
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- Crush garlic, and place in a pot with the oil. Cook garlic for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat, until garlic turns fragrant and golden.
- Add the water and the salt to the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add the diced vegetables. (If using frozen peas and/or corn, wait and add them in the last five minutes of cooking).
- Cook the vegetables for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the rice to the water. Lower the heat, cover, and cook for 12 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and carrots if using them. Cook for five minutes more, then turn off the heat. Leave the rice covered for 5 minutes longer.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.