Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened yogurt (or buttermilk)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup finely diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts (brazil nuts, cashews, or almonds)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed banana, crushed pineapple, oil, egg, lime juice, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Add the apricots, coconut, raisins, and nuts to the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix briefly. The batter will be lumpy.
- Fill the muffin tins almost to the top.
- Place in 450 degree oven, then close oven door and lower temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake 15 minutes, then check for doneness. If muffins still appear wet on top, bake 5 minutes more.
- When the muffins are ready, the tops of the muffins should feel slightly springy when you touch them. Remove and let cook in pans 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a rack.
Make approximately 10 jumbo muffins, or 20 standard muffins.