Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (coarsely ground polenta is good)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Place quinoa in a saucepan and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat until water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook, stirring, for 1 or 2 minutes more, until quinoa starts to stick to the pan. Remove quinoa from heat and spread out on a plate to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream butter with sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Stir together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well.
- Line muffin tin with papers if desired. Fill muffins papers full with batter.
- Place muffins in oven and bake, until muffins have risen and spring back gently to the touch, about 15-20 minutes.
Makes 12 large muffins.