Alfajores are delicious sandwich cookies, made with shortbread and filled with dulce de leche. It's easy to transform them into pretty holiday cookies with festive cookie cutters and food coloring.
- 1 recipe alfajor cookie dough
- 1 cup dulce de leche (homemade or purchased)
- Green and red paste food coloring
- Powdered sugar
- Prepare cookie dough. Knead green food coloring into the dough until desired color is obtained and color is distributed evenly throughout the cookie dough.
- Let dough rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough to 1/8" - 1/4" thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut Christmas tree shapes.
- Place cookies on cookie sheet and bake until just firm, 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool completely.
- Soften dulce de leche by placing in the microwave for a few seconds. Carefully spread some dulce de leche on the inside of a cookie, then top with another cookie (cookies will be fragile).
- Dust cookies with powdered sugar.
Makes about 20-25 cookies, depending on size.