The nutritious Andean grain quinoa
is excellent for stuffing a turkey - it soaks up the flavor of the roast turkey and takes on a creamy texture in the oven.
This quinoa “stuffing” is has chorizo, spinach and cranberries, and is rolled inside a butterflied turkey breast for an elegant presentation. But you could use the same quinoa stuffing inside of a whole turkey roast as well (see Roasted Stuffed Turkey How To
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- 1 medium turkey breast
- 3/4 cups quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 links of sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups spinach leaves
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Simmer the quinoa in the chicken stock over low heat, until quinoa absorbs all of the liquid, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir the dried cranberries in with the quinoa. Cover and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausages and cook until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Place garlic in skillet and sauté briefly. Add spinach leaves and 2 tablespoons water and cook until spinach is wilted and water has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Stir quinoa, sausage and spinach together in a bowl. Add cream cheese and cumin, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butterfly the turkey breast (see how to butterfly a turkey breast). Cover the breast with saran wrap, and use a mallet to flatten the breast meat until it has an even thickness. Season the turket with salt and pepper.
- Spread the quinoa mixture evenly over the meat, then roll the turkey breast up lengthwise. Secure the roll with kitchen twine. Place turkey roll in a baking pan, seam side down. Brush roll with melted butter. Bake turkey for 30 minutes, then check and baste with juices. Bake 45 minutes more, basting occasionally. Check for doneness with a thermometer - internal temperature should be . When turkey is cooked, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice into rounds and serve.