- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 ounces almond paste
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- Royal icing for decorating (see link to recipe below)
- Almond flavoring
- Mix the almond flour, flour, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Grate the almond paste into the bowl.
- Blend the butter into the flour mixture with your fingers, until dough is smooth and well mixed.
- Chill dough for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- On a well floured surface, roll half the cookie dough out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut desired shapes and place on a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling scraps until all of the dough has been rolled and cut.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Decorate half of the cookies with royal icing (mixed with a teaspoon of almond flavoring, if desired) or your favorite cookie icing. (This recipe is my favorite, because it's easy and it stays shiny after it dries).
- When icing is dry, spread undecorated cookies with 1-2 teaspoons of dulce de leche, then top with a decorated cookie.
Makes about 18 sandwich cookies.