The puff pastry crust and ricotta filling distinguish this tart from an ordinary quiche. Torta pascualina is traditionally served during Lent, but it makes an excellent lunch or supper any time of year. You can also use empanada dough
as the pastry layers, or this recipe for pastel tart dough
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: 1 9-inch diameter tart
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 10-ounce packages of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed, or one recipe empanada dough or pastry dough for pasteles
- Egg wash: 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Sauté onion and garlic in the butter until soft and slightly golden. Add salt and numeg.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes more.
- Add spinach and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and 2 eggs in a large bowl.
- Add cooled spinach mixture to the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out one of the pastry sheets in a circle about 14 inches in diameter (or roll out half of the empanada dough or pastel pastry in the same way).
- Drape pastry over a buttered 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing pastry into bottom and sides of pan.
- Fill tart with spinach/cheese mixture.
- Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half. Press them into filling, spacing them evenly.
- Roll out other piece of puff pastry (or other half of the empanada dough) into a 9 inch circle, and place on top of tart. Seal edges together and crimp with a fork.
- Brush tart with the egg wash. Use a fork to prick a few holes in the top of the tart as vents.
- Place tart in oven, lower temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for one hour. If tart is browning too quickly, you can cover the tart with foil loosely.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes before lifting tart (with the removeable bottom) out of the tart pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.