When you're craving a nice commforting home cooked meal, but you don't have much time to spend in the kitchen, this simple slow cooker chicken recipe fits the bill. You can serve this savory chicken over rice, or use it as a filling for empanadas, larger pasteles, tamales, burritos, tacos or enchiladas. The ingredients are simple and easy to keep on hand.Spice up this chicken up before using it as an empanada or tamale filling by adding capers, black or green olives, chopped hard boiled eggs, cheese, green onions, raisins, etc.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: About 4 cups stewed chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 jar of prepared salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 packet Goya seasoning with achiote and cilantro
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Drain the liquid from the can of black beans and add the beans to the chicken.
- Stir the cumin, garlic salt, chile powder, black pepper and the Goya seasoning into the salsa, then add the mixture to the crockpot. Add the chicken stock to the crockpot.
- Cook chicken for 3-6 hours on low heat (depending on slow cooker). Once the chicken is tender and can be easily shredded (after about 3 hours), shred the chicken using two forks. Continue to cook for about 45 minutes to an hour longer.
- Turn off the heat and stir the sour cream into the chicken before serving.