Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 16-ounce bag of frozen gnocchi (or make homemade gnocchi)
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped pimento peppers
- 1 tablespoon chile pepper paste, or 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh red chile pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk or cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon in the olive oil until browned. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions, pimento, and chile pepper paste (or fresh chile peppers) to the pan and cook until very soft and fragrant, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir for one minute, then add the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, stirring, over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Add the cream and heat just to a simmer. Add cheeses and remove from heat. Stir bacon into sauce, reserving some for garnish. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep sauce warm over very low heat while pasta is cooking.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain well and serve gnocchi warm with sauce (garnish with reserved bacon).