- 1 5-7 pound beef tenderloin
- Coarse salt
- Clean and prepare the grill. Light the charcoal and wait until the flames have gone down and the coals are covered with white ash.
- Cut the tenderloin into steaks, 1 to 2 inches thick. Tie a piece of string around the circumference of each steak to maintain its round shape on the grill.
- Season the steaks generously with coarse salt. Place the steaks on the grill, directly over the coals (high heat) and sear them, 5 minutes on each side.
- Move the steaks to the side slightly, so that they are not directly over the coals, and cook at medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes more on each side, or until desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes before serving. Remove strings from steaks.