This is one of those classic South American dishes consisting of a large portion of meat and a particular combination of sides. Costillas a la riojana is an Argentinian specialty - a big plate of grilled pork ribs topped with sautéed vegetables (onions, red peppers, and peas) and served with round potato fries and fried eggs. Some variations include strips of sautéed ham or bacon. It's a large midday meal for a very hungry person, similar to Colombian bandeja paisa or Peruvian tacu tacu.This dish originated in Spain, where pollo a la riojana is a popular chicken dish from La Rioja region in the northern part of the country.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings.
- Grilled Pork Ribs (enough for about 4-6 ribs/plate)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1/4 pound sliced deli ham (optional), cut into thin strips
- 3 large baking potatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4-8 eggs
- Avocado slices for garnish
- Prepare ribs (Recipe for Grilled Pork Ribs) and keep them warm, wrapped in foil in a low temperature oven. Ribs can be grilled the day before and reheated in the oven.
- Prepare the french fries: Peel the potatoes and slice them into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Soak the rounds in cold salted water while you cook the vegetables.
- Slice the onion and red peppers into thin strips. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions until soft and fragrant. Add the red peppers, peas, deli ham (if using), soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce, and cook for several minutes, until the peppers soften and brown slightly. Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat. Place vegetables on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat 1-2 inches of vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium high heat. Drain and thoroughly dry the potato slices with paper towels. Cook the potatoes in the oil until golden brown. Carefully remove potatoes from the oil with a slotted spoon or spatula and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Add a tablespoon or two of the oil used to fry the potatoes to the the same skillet that you used to cook the vegetables. Place the skillet over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the skillet, lower the heat, and fry the eggs until the whites are cooked and the yolk is still a bit runny (See How to Cook Eggs Sunny Side Up).
- Place about 4 ribs on each of 4 plates, and cover each plate of ribs with 1/4 of the vegetable mixture. Divide the fried potatoes between the four plates, and top each plate with 1 or 2 fried eggs. Garnish with avocado slices and serve.