This chicken stir fry is a close cousin lomo saltado, one of the most well know Peruvian dishes. Lomo saltado has both Asian and Latin flavors - it's a beef stir fry with chile peppers, vegetables, and potatoes(!).This pollo saltado comes together quickly with frozen french fries. You could use leftover cooked chicken for this dish to speed things up even more. Serve pollo saltado over rice, as serving rice with potatoes is perfectly acceptable in Peruvian cuisine.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6.
- 2-3 uncooked chicken breasts, sliced into 2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon aji panca chile pepper paste, or 1 tablespoon diced fresh chile pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups (approximately) frozen french fries, steak cut
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato
- Cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
- Place the chicken breast pieces in a ziplock bag with the vinegar, soy sauce, honey, cumin, paprika and aji panca paste. Set aside to marinate (you can do this ahead and marinate the chicken in refrigerator 12-24 hours).
- Place 1-2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet with tall sides and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Fry french fries until golden brown, in batches if necessary. Set aside on paper towels to cool; season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate skillet over medium heat, heat 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown quickly on both sides. Add the marinade and cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes more, just until no longer pink when sliced.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the garlic and onions to the skillet and sauté in the remaining marinade until soft. Add the red peppers and tomato and sauté over medium high heat until just starting to brown.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet. Season with more soy sauce if desired. Add the french fries, tossing gently, and remove from heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm with rice.