Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 1 9-inch tart
- For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 pound smoked deli ham, sliced thinly
- 1/4 pound sliced monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tomato, sliced thinly
- 3 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- 1 egg
- Prepare the dough: Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Use a fork to stir in the vegetable oil, melted butter, and egg yolks until just blended.
- Heat the milk until almost boiling. Add the milk, a little bit at a time, until mixture comes together into a dough. (You may not need all of the milk). The dough should be a little bit soft, and not crumbly. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in 2 tablespoons flour, and heat, stirring, until well mixed and bubbling.
- Whisk in 3/4 cup milk and continue to heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Stir in parmesan cheese and remove from heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll out one half of the dough into a thin, 9-10 inch circle. Place the dough on a greased baking sheet.
- Layer the ham slices onto the dough circle, leaving about a 3/4 inch border of dough around the edge. Layer the slices of cheese on top of the ham, and the tomato slices on top of that.
- Spread the cream sauce over the tomatoes, and top with slices of hard boiled egg.
- Roll out the second half of the dough into a similar circle. Place circle on top of ham and cheese, and seal edges of bottom layer of dough with the top layer all the way around.
- Whisk 1 egg with a tablespoon of water, and brush pastry with egg mixture. Place tart in oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees. Bake pastry until it's golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove tart from oven, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 4 people as a main course.