Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound pasta (orecchiette or other shell-like shape)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 pound smoked deli ham, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon (about 3 cubes), or to taste
- 2 cups milk or cream
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- In a heavy skillet, sauté chopped onion in the olive oil until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms have browned and most of the water is evaporated. Stir in ham and set aside.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat until just bubbly.
- Add milk slowly to the saucepan, stirring. Add bouillon. Continue to heat milk, stirring with a whisk, until sauce thickens and just starts to come to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Stir in sautéed mushrooms and onions.
- Drain pasta well. Ladle sauce over pasta and serve.