Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 yellow chile pepper, finely chopped (or other hot chile pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- In a saucepan on medium heat, sauté the minced garlic in the vegetable oil until the garlic is golden and fragrant. Add the water, salt, and rice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the frozen peas.
- Simmer for 5 minutes more, covered, until the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave the rice covered until you are ready to use it.
- In a skillet on medium heat, sauté the chopped onion in the olive oil until soft and golden. Add the ground beef and cumin and cook, stirring, until the meat is browned. Add the tomatoes, chile pepper, and raisins and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer 5 to 10 minutes more, until the liquid has cooked down, but before it becomes dry. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a small glass bowl with butter. Fill the bowl 1/3 full with some of the rice. Add a layer of the ground beef filling, then cover the filling with more rice. Press rice firmly into the mold. Turn the bowl onto a serving platter or individual plate, and remove the bowl. Garnish with sprigs of parsley, black olive halves, or strips of red pepper.
- Optional, but traditional: Cut hard boiled eggs into fourths, and place one piece inside the mold with the filling. Or use sliced eggs to decorate the serving platter